Police investigating anti-Arab graffiti daubed on home of Afula man

Police investigating anti-Arab graffiti daubed on home of Afula man

25-year-old resident of northern city discovers ‘death to Arabs’ scrawled on his front door, says he doubts the perpetrators will be caught and punished

A view of an Afula street (Shay Levy/Flash90)
A view of an Afula street (Shay Levy/Flash90)

Police have opened in investigation into anti-Arab graffiti daubed on the home of an Afula man this week.

The man who declined to identify himself told Channel 10 news he discovered the words “death to Arabs” spray painted in red on his front door when he returned from work on Sunday.

The 25-year-old told the TV station that police had confirmed to him the vandalism was a “price tag” hate crime, but expressed doubt the authorities would be motivated to catch the perpetrators.

“It’s my own fault for being an Arab,” he said. “If it was Moshe… there would have already been 20 arrests made, but when its an Arab, there’s nothing to be done, I’m sure they will tell me in two days the case is closed due to lack of evidence.

“I don’t expect anything from police,” he added.

“Price tag” refers to vandalism and other hate crimes carried out by Jewish ultra-nationalists ostensibly in retaliation for Palestinian violence or government policies perceived as hostile to the settler movement. Mosques, churches, dovish Israeli groups and even Israeli military bases have been targeted by nationalist vandals in recent years.

Police have opened probes into dozens of hate crime attacks believed to have been perpetrated by Jewish ultra-nationalists in recent months. While a number of arrests have been made, the only suspects that had been behind bars for the crimes were released last month without any charges filed.

Last month, three Arab Israeli men from Shfaram were targeted in a particularly violent hate crime at a beach near Haifa.

The victims described the attack by nine Jewish men to media outlets as unprovoked and nationalistically motivated.

Four people were arrested in the wake of the beach attack; last week a judge released three of them to house arrest.

read more: