The Emirati government on Monday denied an Israeli television report that its security services had arrested a number of Iranian suspects who were planning to carry out a terror attack against Israeli citizens in the country.
“The Government of the United Arab Emirates has denied media reports circulating today regarding the foiling of an alleged attack in Dubai,” it said in a statement.
On Sunday night, Israel’s Channel 12 news reported that authorities in the United Arab Emirates had arrested a number of Iranians in Dubai and Abu Dhabi over the previous few days on suspicion that they planned to carry out terror attacks there.
The TV report said UAE authorities were probing whether the thousands of Israeli tourists and businesspeople were the intended targets of the Iranian terror cell and that the Emiratis were sharing the information revealed in the investigation “with friendly states,” apparently referring to Israel, which normalized ties with Abu Dhabi last year.
In its statement, the UAE called the information in the Channel 12 report “rumors” and said they were “wholly false, and urged accuracy in reporting.”
The report came one year after the United States killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and a month and a half after the head of Iran’s military nuclear program, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, was killed, allegedly by Israel. Since Fakhrizadeh’s death, Israeli officials have warned that Tehran may seek to exact revenge by targeting Israelis abroad, including in the UAE and Bahrain.