search

Body of second Gazan retrieved from tunnel

A second Gazan is found dead Sunday after the collapse of a tunnel on the Egypt border, the interior ministry in the Hamas-run enclave says.

On Thursday, rescue services said seven men had been trapped in the collapse.

Five were rescued, but the ministry now says they retrieved the body of Mohammed Abbas of Rafah, after announcing the death of a man named as Fadi Abu Dan.

A local civil defense official described the underground passage from the southern Gaza town of Rafah into neighboring Egypt as a “trade tunnel.”

The cave-in was caused by Egyptian flooding of the border zone in its campaign to stop smuggling, the official tells AFP.

Since January 26, at least 12 Gazans have been killed in five separate tunnel collapses with both Israel and Egypt operating against the diggers.

AFP

comments