A Defense Ministry engineering vehicle working along the northern West Bank security barrier came under gunfire on Tuesday morning, the military said.
According to the Israel Defense Forces, the vehicle was “engaged in maintenance work” close to the Palestinian town of Jalamah.
In June, the Defense Ministry began to upgrade a section of the barrier in the northern West Bank after a series of deadly terror attacks were committed by Palestinians who illegally entered Israel earlier in the year.
No injuries were caused in Tuesday’s attack, although the vehicle was damaged.
According to the Kan public broadcaster, some 40 shell casings were found in the area.
The IDF said it launched a manhunt for the suspects.
A heavily edited video circulated on Palestinian social media claimed to show the moment of the attack by members of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade terror group. The footage could not be independently verified to have been from the attack Tuesday.
The incident came at a time of rising violence in the West Bank, particularly in the northern cities of Nablus and Jenin.
Israeli troops have repeatedly come under gunfire during nightly raids in the West Bank, during a months-long effort against Palestinian terrorists.
The military launched the operation after a series of deadly attacks that killed 19 people between mid-March and the beginning of May.
More than 2,000 suspects have been detained since the beginning of the year, according to the Shin Bet security agency.
In raids during the predawn hours of Tuesday, troops arrested five wanted Palestinians, with violent incidents in some areas, the IDF said.