New information passed to the Hungarian state prosecutor recently may lead to the arrest of 97-year-old Ladislaus Csizsik-Csatary, considered the most wanted former Nazi, Efraim Zuroff of the Simon Wiesenthal Center told The Times of Israel on Sunday.
The news comes on the heels of a report by the Sun newspaper of Britain, which confronted Csizsik-Csatary in Budapest based on information from the center.
Zuroff, considered the world’s foremost Nazi-hunter, said a Holocaust survivor now living in Sydney testified that Csizsik-Csatary took part in the capture of Jews of foreign nationality in Hungary as early as 1941, and also ordered that Jews be brought back from manual labor so that they could be deported to Ukraine, where they were subsequently murdered.
The new material, including the testimony, was presented to the Hungarian prosecutor last week, Zuroff said.
“I expect them to question him and take his passport to prevent him from running away,” Zuroff told Haaretz.
In an April report released by the center, Csizsik-Csatary was described as having “served as the commander of the Hungarian police” in the Hungarian-occupied Slovakian town of Kassa, today known as Kosice, and “in charge of the ghetto of ‘privileged’ Jews.”
According to the report, Csizsik-Csatary “helped organize the deportation to Auschwitz of approximately 15,700 Jews from Kosice and [the] vicinity in spring 1944.”
After the war Csizsik-Csatary escaped to Canada, and in 1997 he was stripped of his Canadian citizenship, causing him to leave the country.
Though the Simon Wiesenthal Center located Csizsik-Csatary several months ago, Zuroff praised the Sun for investing money, time and resources that the center could not.
The Sun “deserves a lot of credit,” for managing to “get images and track things down,” Zuroff said.
The paper reported that Csizsik-Csatary denied everything and slammed the door in the face of the reporters.