London’s public transportation department has apologized to drivers after traffic wardens slapped £130 ($170) fines on cars stranded after the terror attack on London Bridge on Saturday in which eight people were killed.
Drivers abandoned their cars and ran during the attack, in which terrorists used a van to plow down pedestrians on London Bridge, then got out and went on a stabbing spree in and around the nearby Borough Market.
Drivers were told they could collect their cars early Wednesday morning, but within minutes of announcing that the cordon had been removed, a warden was seen ticketing cars on Borough High Street.
“We unreservedly apologize for our insensitive mistake,” a Transport for London spokesman said. “These fines should never have been issued and will all be immediately canceled.”
— Andy Watt (@Andy_Watt) June 7, 2017