Toddler hospitalized after being forgotten in car

Toddler hospitalized after being forgotten in car

One-year-old in stable condition; tourist couple left him in vehicle for half hour while they shopped

Illustrative: A Magen David Adom ambulance. (Nati Shohat/Flash90)
Illustrative: A Magen David Adom ambulance. (Nati Shohat/Flash90)

An 18-month-old boy was rushed to a hospital in stable condition after being forgotten in a car for over half an hour amid a heat wave in Israel Wednesday.

The child’s parents are tourists, and left the boy in the car while they went shopping in Kfar Chabad. When they returned to the vehicle and realized the baby’s condition they called paramedics who rushed him to Rishon Lezion’s Assaf Harofeh Medical Center suffering from dehydration and heatstroke.

On the way to the hospital the medics said that the baby’s condition worsened. Police are investigating the incident.

A medic for Magen David Adom said, “When I got there I saw the toddler outside the car. They told me that he had been in the closed vehicle for half an hour. He was conscious and crying, showing indications of mild heatstroke. After administering medical treatment at the scene he was evacuated in a stable condition to the hospital. When he arrived at the hospital, his condition was defined as fair.”

Israel has been in the midst of a sweltering heatwave over the last few days.

Earlier this year, in May, a 1-year-old girl died after being forgotten for several hours in an overheated car in the Avnei Hefetz settlement of the northern West Bank.

In August 2016, a joint Knesset committee accepted several recommendations aimed at preventing the deaths of children forgotten in overheated cars following a spate of such cases.

One of the proposals is a requirement for all car seats to be fitted with standardized technology that would alert parents should they forget to take their children out of the car. The requirement will be phased in over the next three years.

read more: