search

Iran asks Interpol to arrest Natanz ‘sabotage’ suspect

A passport-style photo published by Iranian state television shows Reza Karimi, 43, whom Tehran says was behind the sabotage at Natanz on April 11 that it has blamed on Israel (video screenshot)
A passport-style photo published by Iranian state television shows Reza Karimi, 43, whom Tehran says was behind the sabotage at Natanz on April 11 that it has blamed on Israel (video screenshot)

Iran has asked Interpol to help arrest a suspect in a sabotage attack on its Natanz nuclear facility which it blames on Israel, a local newspaper reports.

National television has published a photo and identified the man as 43-year-old Reza Karimi, saying the intelligence ministry had established his role in last week’s “sabotage” at Natanz.

The broadcaster said the suspect had “fled the country before the incident” and that “legal procedures to arrest and return him to the country are currently underway.”

Neither state TV nor other media provided further details on the suspect. The intelligence ministry has not issued an official statement.

The ultraconservative Kayhan daily reports that “intelligence and judicial authorities” are engaged in the process.

It adds that “after his identity was established, necessary measures were taken through Interpol to arrest and return” the suspect.

Kayhan does not specify what form of Interpol assistance had been requested.

comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed