The London-based “War on Want” charity has categorically denied reports the British government had withdrawn its support of the group over its sponsorship of anti-Israel events.
In a statement released Sunday, the anti-poverty group called a report in The Telegraph alleging the government’s Department for International Development pulled its funding of the NGO a “complete fabrication.”
“War on Want has not sought any UK government support for its operations for a number of years now, so it is absurd to suggest that we have had our funding ‘pulled,’” John Hilary, the executive director of War on Want, said in the statement. “The insinuation that we have been criticized by the government for standing up for the rights of the Palestinian people is equally bogus.”
Over the weekend, the British daily published a report saying the group’s involvement with anti-Israel rallies, including last month’s Israeli Apartheid Week, prompted London officials to discontinue their funding.
Over the last two years, War on Want has received about $370,000 in government funding, according to the report.
A source in the Department for International Development told the newspaper the UK “deplored incitement on both sides of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.”
The British government has recently banned municipalities and other publicly funded authorities from implementing boycotts of Israel.
The Telegraph said it obtained undercover recordings of events where anti-Semitism, demands for the destruction of Israel, or naked support for terror were expressed by academics and others in meetings at some of Britain’s most prestigious universities. Some of the events were sponsored by War on Want.