A fire broke out in a residential building in Haifa overnight Thursday-Friday, causing serious damage but no injury, authorities said.
Firefighting officials said the blaze erupted in an apartment on the second floor of the seven-story building, making it difficult for those above that level to get out.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and evacuated residents who were trapped in their homes by the flames.
Using a crane, five residents were rescued from their balconies. Another 10 were evacuated through the smoke-filled staircase, a spokesperson for the Israel Fire and Rescue Services said.
Fire officials investigating the blaze said it was likely caused by an unattended or malfunctioning electric scooter battery.
Such batteries, if not handled correctly, are reported to have sparked numerous fires in the past. In September, a 12-year-old boy was killed in a fire that apparently sparked from an electric scooter battery.
The fire caused heavy damage to the building, firefighting officials said, but there were no injuries.