search

Death toll in Turkey wildfires rises to 8

ANKARA, Turkey — The death toll from wildfires in southern Turkey rises to eight following the discovery of two bodies today, officials say, as more people including tourists are evacuated to safety.

Turkey is suffering the worst fires in at least a decade, official data show, with nearly 95,000 hectares (235,000 acres) burned so far this year, compared with an average of 13,516 hectares at this point in the year between 2008 and 2020.

Two bodies are found in Manavgat town in Antalya province, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca tweets.

The Turkish national and a German died in their fire-damaged home, according to state news agency Anadolu.

Since the fires broke out Wednesday, 864 people have received medical treatment, the health minister says.

Several neighborhoods in the tourist city of Bodrum were evacuated, the mayor says, as strong winds from nearby Milas district fan the flames.

Over 1,100 residents were taken to another part of Bodrum aboard nearly 20 boats, mayor Ahmet Aras says, since it was not possible to evacuate people by road.

comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed