US carries out fresh strikes against Yemen’s Houthis

Houthi fighters and tribesmen stage a rally against the US and the UK strikes on Houthi-run military sites near Sanaa, Yemen, January 14, 2024. (AP Photo)
Houthi fighters and tribesmen stage a rally against the US and the UK strikes on Houthi-run military sites near Sanaa, Yemen, January 14, 2024. (AP Photo)

The US military carried out another round of strikes against Yemen’s Houthi rebels, targeting missile launchers that were preparing for attacks on shipping in the Red Sea, the White House says.

Washington is seeking to reduce the Iran-backed Houthis’ military capabilities, but the Yemeni rebels are still able to continue their attacks despite a week of strikes, and they have vowed that they will keep targeting merchant vessels.

“This morning, US forces conducted three successful self-defense strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby tells reporters.

“This is the fourth preemptive action that the US military has taken in the past week against Houthi missile launchers that were ready to launch attacks,” Kirby says.

“These actions were… done in self-defense, but it also helps make safer international waters for both naval vessels as well as merchant shipping.”

The air campaign against the Houthis began last week with American and British strikes on nearly 30 sites in Yemen using more than 150 munitions, while US forces later attacked a Houthi radar site in what was described as “a follow-on action” to the previous strikes.

Most Popular