Cops say they solved murder of Petah Tikva man stabbed 70 times

Shalev Korostishevsky, 50, was found dead outside his home last month; police name prime suspect, allege he burned victim’s body and apartment in cover-up attempt

Tobias (Toby) Siegal is a breaking news editor and contributor to The Times of Israel.

A combination of images showing Shalev Korostishevsky, 50, and police officers outside an apartment building in Petah Tikva where Korostishevsky was allegedly stabbed and then set on fire. (Israel Police)
A combination of images showing Shalev Korostishevsky, 50, and police officers outside an apartment building in Petah Tikva where Korostishevsky was allegedly stabbed and then set on fire. (Israel Police)

Police on Sunday said they cracked the murder of a man in Petah Tikva last month, naming the prime suspect as a resident of Rishon Lezion.

Prosecutors said Osher Agasi, 23, will be indicted in the coming days for the murder of Shalev Korostishevsky, 50.

Police disclosed details from the ongoing investigation during a court hearing Sunday, 24 days after Agasi was arrested, with the leading investigator describing the killing as “cruel” and “despicable.”

On December 30, police were dispatched to an apartment building in Petah Tikva, where residents reported several suspicious fires.

Upon arriving, officers noticed a fire raging near the building’s entrance, where Korostishevsky’s body was found wrapped in a blanket. The victim’s apartment was also set on fire.

Police narrowed their list of suspects to Agasi, who was a previous acquaintance of Korostishevsky, after examining footage from security cameras in the area, gathering testimonies from neighbors and collecting forensic evidence from the scene.

Osher Agasi. 23, who was named as the prime suspect in the murder case of Petah Tikva resident Shalev Korostishevsky, 50, seen in court in January 2023. (Twitter: used in accordance with Clause 27a of the Copyright Law)

The police investigation found Agasi once borrowed money from Korostishevsky when they lived in the same building. Police suspect Korostishevsky demanded the money, leading Agasi to confront him in his apartment and eventually kill him.

Police said Agasi’s following actions were unusually cruel.

According to the investigation, Agasi stabbed Korostishevsky more than 70 times over the span of four hours. He then allegedly asked neighbors for plastic bags and bleach, planning to clean up the scene, but, after realizing he would be unable to do so, set the victim’s body and apartment on fire to obscure the evidence.

Agasi was spotted with his wife at a restaurant just hours after the incident, according to police inspector Viki Atia. The wife was initially arrested on suspicion of attempting to obstruct the investigation, but was released shortly after under restrictive conditions.

Police later found traces of Korostishevsky’s blood on Agasi’s motorcycle helmet. The victim’s cell phone was also found in Agasi’s possession.

Security camera footage released by the Israel Police on January 22, 2023, shows prime suspect Osher Agasi, 23, on his motorcycle outside the home of the deceased, Shalev Korostishevsky, 50, who was stabbed 70 times and set on fire on December 30, 2022. (Israel Police)

“We were shocked by this murder,” Atia said in a video released by the Israel Police. “Every murder is difficult, but in this case, it was an especially cruel murder that lasted four hours, while the suspect repeatedly leaves the scene and then returns. A despicable and harsh incident.”

Agasi served time in jail for arson in the past, according to a report by the Ynet news site. The report also said that Korostishevsky had filed several complaints against Agasi before their fatal encounter on December 30. Police said they would look into how those complaints were handled and whether more could have been done to prevent the incident.

Police chief inspector Viki Atia seen in a video released by police on January 22, 2023. (Israel Police)

Agasi has denied the allegations against him. His appointed public defender, attorney Dima Bernstein, said his client was cooperating with the investigation.

“We are hopeful that in the next few days, we’ll receive objective findings from the scene and the situation will be clarified,” he said.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure:
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.