Father of two stabbed to death in Beersheba

Father of two stabbed to death in Beersheba

Gadi Vichman, 36, killed when he asked local teens to stop making noise late at night

A father of two young children was stabbed to death outside his apartment building in Beersheba on Friday night after he asked local teens to stop making so much noise.

Hours after celebrating with his family the second birthday of his daughter, Gadi Vichman, 36, went downstairs because he couldn’t get his children back to sleep. They were being disturbed by loud music, yelling and swearing by teenagers in the park near his building on Rav-Nisan St. in the Neve Zeev neighborhood.

His wife Michal, who watched the entire incident from the family’s balcony, said that one of the youths quickly ran at Vichman, head-butted him and stabbed in the chest, according to Haaretz.

Beersheba police said that they received two calls regarding the noise in the park near Vichman’s building that night. The first call was made by Michal Vichman at 12:15 a.m. A second call came at approximately 2:00 a.m to say that a fight was taking place.

According to Maariv, the police initially denied receiving a call at 12:15, but later acknowledged receiving it. The police report claimed that a patrol car was sent to the neighborhood after the first call was received but the officers found no sign of noise or disturbance in the area. Michal Vichman said that no patrol car came after the first call, which she herself placed.

When a car was sent after the second call, police found Vichman’s body at the scene. Magen David Adom officials tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate him, and confirmed his death.

While no arrests had been made by Saturday night, police said that they were searching for three teenage boys and one girl in connection with the killing. According to the Haaretz report, Michal Vichman heard a girl with the group say “Let’s go. Leave him alone” to the youth who attacked Vichman.

Neighbors reported that the late night noise from teens in this park has been a problem for years, particularly every Friday night, and that calls to police and requests for an enhanced police presence have gone unanswered.

Beersheba Mayor Rubik Danilovich called the murder “shocking” and said that he had requested from Police Commissioner Yohanan Danino additional police presence in areas where disturbances on weekends are a regular occurrence.

Danilovich announced that the first hour of the day on Sunday in Beersheba public schools would be devoted to discussing and teaching about the prevention of violence.

read more: