Jordanian killer of seven Israeli girls hospitalized
search

Jordanian killer of seven Israeli girls hospitalized

Ahmad Dakamseh’s health deteriorates after 5th day of hunger strike; 2 Palestinian prisoners end 70-day strike

Riot police try to control angry Jordanians as they protest in front of the Israeli Embassy, demanding the ambassador's expulsion, in Amman, Jordan, on March 10, 2014. (photo credit: AFP/Khalil Mazraawi)
Riot police try to control angry Jordanians as they protest in front of the Israeli Embassy, demanding the ambassador's expulsion, in Amman, Jordan, on March 10, 2014. (photo credit: AFP/Khalil Mazraawi)

A Jordanian soldier jailed for life for the murder of seven Israeli schoolgirls was hospitalized on the fifth day of a hunger strike Wednesday after his health deteriorated, police said.

“Ahmad Dakamseh is currently being hospitalized after his health deteriorated because he had been refusing to eat or take medicine since Friday,” a statement said.

“He ended his hunger strike in hospital and is currently receiving all necessary care.”

On March 10, Israeli soldiers killed Jordanian Judge Raed Zeiter in a scuffle at the Allenby Bridge border crossing, prompting Jordanian MPs to demand that Dakamseh be freed.

But the government refused, and Dakamseh began his hunger strike.

Israel, which said Zeiter had attacked the soldiers and tried to steal one of their weapons, expressed regret over the shooting but stopped short of apologising.

In 1997, Dakamseh opened fire on a group of Israeli schoolgirls as they visited Baqura, a scenic peninsula on the Jordan River near the Israeli border.

He killed seven of the girls and wounded five more, as well as a teacher.

It was never clear what motivated Dakamseh, who was 30 at the time and a married father of three.

King Hussein cut short a visit to Europe and rushed home to condemn the attack.

He later traveled to Israel to offer his condolences to the families of the murdered schoolgirls, and Jordan also paid compensation.

Also Wednesday, two Palestinian prisoners at the Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot decided to suspend their 70-day hunger strike after Israeli acceded to their demands, Ma’an news agency reported.

According to Jawad Bulous, lawyer for Muammar Banat and Akram al-Fseisi, an Israeli prosecutor agreed to set limits for the two prisoners’ administrative detention without trial. Banat’s must end by May, and al-Fseisi’s by August.

Join us!
A message from the Editor of Times of Israel
David Horovitz

The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.

We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.

Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.

Become a member of The Times of Israel Community
read more:
comments