In Goldin’s capture, echoes of Gilad Shalit

In Goldin’s capture, echoes of Gilad Shalit

Hamas's seizing of Givati officer evokes case of soldier who was kidnapped in Israel and held hostage in Gaza for 1,941 days

IDF soldier Gilad Shalit seen in a video clip released by Hamas during his captivity (photo credit: Nati Shohat/Flash90)
IDF soldier Gilad Shalit seen in a video clip released by Hamas during his captivity (photo credit: Nati Shohat/Flash90)

Friday’s disappearance of an Israeli soldier, apparently captured in Gaza, has echoes of the June 2006 seizure of conscript Gilad Shalit, who was held by Palestinian terrorists for five years.

On June 25, 2006, the then 19-year-old Shalit was captured after terrorists tunneled under Gaza’s border and attacked an army post inside Israel, killing two soldiers and seriously wounding a third.

The raid was claimed by three Palestinian groups, including Hamas’s armed wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades.

Shalit, who has dual Israeli-French nationality, was captured and his bloodied bulletproof vest was found on the ground.

A day later, the three groups demanded the liberation of women and minors detained in Israel in exchange for information on Shalit. Then-prime minister Ehud Olmert ruled out freeing Palestinian prisoners.

The attack was the first of its kind since Israel withdrew its troops and settlers from the coastal enclave in the summer of 2005.

On June 28, three days after his capture, Israel began a five-month military operation aimed at finding Shalit and ending rocket fire in the Gaza Strip.

More than 400 Palestinians, including many civilians, were killed, around 60 Hamas officials were arrested, including several ministers and dozens of deputies, and a blockade was imposed on the impoverished enclave.

Israel failed to find Shalit during the offensive, and a Palestinian spokesman said on August 28 that he was alive.

On April 8, 2007, Israel confirmed it had received a list of Palestinian prisoners wanted in exchange for Shalit.

On June 25, 2007, a year after Shalit’s capture, Hamas, which had just seized political control of Gaza from Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’s Fatah movement, released a recording from Shalit, in which he begged Olmert’s government to do more to free him and said that his health had deteriorated.

In September of the following year, then-French president Nicolas Sarkozy said he had handed over to his Syrian counterpart, Bashar Assad, a letter from Shalit’s father, destined for his son.

On December 27, 2008, Israel launched the 22-day Operation Cast Lead against the Gaza Strip following daily rocket attacks by terrorist.

Then, on October 2, 2009, Israel, whose new Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had pledged to secure Shalit’s safe return, released around 20 Palestinian women prisoners in exchange for a one-minute video of the captured soldier.

Between June 27 and July 8, 2010, Shalit’s parents and thousands of supporters walked to Jerusalem from northern Israel to mark four years since his capture, to urge the government to go ahead with a prisoner swap.

On October 11, 2011, Israel and Hamas announced a deal under Egyptian mediation for Shalit’s liberation in exchange for the release of 1,027 Palestinian prisoners.

Finally, on October 18, the young man who had become an icon in Israel, his picture emblazoned across the country thanks to a relentless campaign by his parents, returned to Israel after 1,941 days in captivity.

On Wednesday, Shalit commented on Israel’s Operation Protective Edge in the Gaza Strip for the first time since it began over 3 weeks ago, thanking the soldiers deployed to the Strip for safeguarding Israel’s security and saying he was watching developments in the conflict “with concern.”

Shalit told Channel 2 that he was praying for the soldiers’ safe return.

Givati Brigade officer Hadar Goldin, who was declared missing in Gaza on August 1
Givati Brigade officer Hadar Goldin, who was declared missing in Gaza on August 1

Hadar Goldin was feared seized early on Friday. Two soldiers — Staff Sgt. Liel Gidoni, 20, and Mjr. Benya Sharel, 26 — were killed in the attack, carried out after a 72-hour ceasefire, accepted by Hamas, had gone into force.

Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.

read more: