search

Family denies abducting boy who survived Italy disaster: We ‘brought him home’

Eitan Biran’s aunt says his grandpa took him to Israel because they had no info on his welfare; legal guardian, his other aunt, said working with Italian authorities to return him

The Biran family, with Eitan on the right. (Courtesy)
The Biran family, with Eitan on the right. (Courtesy)

The aunt of a 6-year-old Israeli boy whose family was killed in a cable car crash in Italy in May, and who was reportedly taken to Israel on Saturday by his grandfather, denied that the child had been abducted amid an escalating guardianship battle.

“We did not kidnap Eitan and we will not use that word,” said Gali Peleg, the boy’s maternal aunt, in an interview with Radio103FM. “We brought Eitan back home. We had to do it after we received no information on his health or mental condition. If the judge had not scheduled meetings [with the child], we would not have seen him.”

Fourteen people, including Eitan’s father, Amit Biran, 30; his mother Tal Peleg-Biran, 26; 2-year-old brother Tom; and his great-grandparents from Tel Aviv, Barbara, 71, and Yitzhak Cohen, 81, were killed in the May 24 accident, after a cable snapped on the aerial tram bringing weekend visitors to the top of the Piedmont region’s Mottarone Mountain. All five were buried in Israel a few days later.

Last month, Peleg said that she had initiated legal proceedings to adopt her nephew.

Eitan’s current legal guardian, Aya Biran-Nirko, the Italy-based sister of the child’s late father, filed a complaint with the Italian police claiming that he was abducted by his maternal grandfather, Shmuel Peleg, on Saturday.

Eitan left his house in Fabia, northern Italy, with Peleg on Saturday morning but did not return by early evening as had been agreed, according to reports. Biran-Nirko repeatedly tried to reach Peleg until she received a message from him saying, “Eitan has returned home.”

Rescuers work by the wreckage of a cable car after it collapsed near the summit of the Stresa-Mottarone line in the Piedmont region, northern Italy, Sunday, May 23, 2021. (Italian Vigili del Fuoco Firefighters via AP)

Biran-Nirko reportedly received a message from the Pelegs’ lawyer confirming that Eitan had arrived in Israel.

According to the Kan public broadcaster, the child’s travel to Israel was made possible because the Peleg family had held onto his Israeli passport, contrary to an Italian judge’s order.

A family friend, named only as A.D., told Channel 12 news on Sunday that the Biran family was working with the Italian authorities to return Eitan to the country.

Peleg in August accused Biran-Nirko of kidnapping the boy and preventing him from having a “normal childhood.” Though Eitan was raised in Italy, Peleg’s husband, Ron Peri, claimed that his Israeli parents had never wanted him to grow up there and preferred he receive a Jewish education in Israel.

In June, Marcella Severino, the mayor of the town of Stresa where the cable car started out, told an Italian newspaper that Biran-Nirko was “a constant presence in the life of the child, he’s in good hands.”

Eitan suffered severe trauma in the crash and Biran-Nirko took on the task of dealing with the hospital system and his recovery, though Peri said the arrangement was meant to be temporary.

read more:
comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed