A fire broke out in the basement of a three-story building in Ramat Gan Friday evening, with 10 residents — including three children – suffering from smoke inhalation.
Five firefighting crews responded to the alarms and attempted to extinguish the blaze. They evacuated all the tenants of the building from its 18 apartments, using ladders to rescue residents from the upper stories.
Paramedics transferred five of the casualties to the Sourasky Medical Center Ichilov in Tel Aviv, and the other five were taken to the Tel Hashomer Hospital.
A firefighter at the scene told Ynet that the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but that the basement most likely contained a lot of waste.
“It caused damage to the entire building, but I believe that families can soon go back to inhabiting it,” he added.