A firefighter was called to his own home within minutes of the start of his first day on the job at a Jerusalem fire station Sunday.
Itamar Chotter, 30, received a call from his wife just 15 minutes after he reported for work, Hebrew website Ynet reported, telling him a fire had broken out at their home in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Gilo.
Chotter’s wife and her mother were using the grill when a gas balloon got loose, causing the blaze.
Three firefighting teams arrived at the house and extinguished the flames. The damage to the house was minor and no one was injured, the report said.
“I didn’t expect this to happen to me — that the first fire I’d be going to would be at my own house. It got personal and I’m glad it ended well,” Chotter said.