Police say they nabbed Palestinian on way to carry out attack in northern Israel

Authorities respond to a pair of anonymous tips leading them to a 21-year-old in Afula; suspect taken in for questioning

Jacob Magid is The Times of Israel's US correspondent

The vehicle being driven by a Palestinian whp police say was planning on carrying out a terror attack before he was arrested on September 22, 2018. (Israel Police)
The vehicle being driven by a Palestinian whp police say was planning on carrying out a terror attack before he was arrested on September 22, 2018. (Israel Police)

Israeli police said they arrested a 21-year-old Palestinian man from the West Bank on Saturday who was planning to carry out a terror attack in northern Israel.

Both uniformed and plain-clothed troops began carrying out a mass search for the suspect throughout the northern town of Afula after authorities received an anonymous tip that an attack there was imminent.

Shortly thereafter, police said they received a call from another anonymous source who provided the license plate of the Palestinian suspect.

The alleged would-be attacker was apprehended by officers in the Yasam reconnaissance unit and transferred to security authorities for questioning.

Police did not elaborate on the details of the attack the Palestinian man had allegedly planned.

Saturday’s incident came just days after a Palestinian was shot dead while attempting to carry out a stabbing attack outside Jerusalem’s Old City.

According to police, the attacker ran at a Jewish man and knocked him over onto the ground; he then “continued running toward the police officers while waving a sharp object and trying to harm them.”

The assailant was a 26-year-old from the Qalandiya refugee camp outside Jerusalem, who was in Israel illegally, authorities said.

On Sunday, Efrat resident Ari Fuld was killed by a Palestinian terrorist in a West Bank stabbing attack.

Seventeen-year-old Khalil Jabarin targeted the 45-year-old father of four at a shopping mall in the Gush Etzion Junction. Security camera footage from the scene showed Fuld, fatally wounded and with blood pouring down his back, chasing and shooting Jabarin, who appeared to be on his way to his next target. The gunshots from Fuld and another Israeli civilian at the scene neutralized the Palestinian teen, moderately injuring him and preventing further loss of life.

Fuld was rushed to Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center but later succumbed to his wounds.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure:
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.