Young boy in serious condition after choking on a grape
Hospital lists condition of 4-year-old as unstable; incident at Beersheba supermarket follows several other cases of kids choking on small objects in recent days
A 4-year-old child was hospitalized in serious condition after choking on a grape at a Beersheba supermarket on Thursday.
The child was taken to the pediatric intensive care unit at the southern city’s Soroka Medical Center, after paramedics tried resuscitating him on site.
The Magen David Adom ambulance service listed him in critical condition when he was brought to Soroka, which on Friday said he was in serious yet unstable condition.
Assuta Medical Center said that prior to the incident, there were four other cases of children suffocating on smalls object in the previous four days.
Two of the children were released from the hospital within a few hours, while the other two had to undergo emergency surgery.
According to Beterem, an organization that advocates for child safety precautions, suffocation is the third leading cause of death among kids in Israel.