Interpol won’t lift warrants for 6 Iranians in AMIA bombing
Arrest orders to remain active despite Tehran’s participation in probe of 1994 terror attack
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (JTA) — Interpol will not lift the arrest warrants for Iranians suspected of involvement in the 1994 bombing of the AMIA Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, despite Tehran’s supposed cooperation with Argentina in investigating the event.
Argentinian Foreign Minister Hector Timerman cited a letter from the international police organization during a news conference on Friday in explaining that the arrest warrants would remain active. Six Iranians are wanted by Interpol in connection with the bombing, including Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi.
Over Jewish community protests, Argentina’s congress last month approved an agreement with Iran to jointly investigate the bombing of the AMIA center, which killed 85 people and is believed to have been carried out under orders from Tehran.
“Some organizations from the [Jewish] community said that the agreement with Iran is a step to the precipice,” Timerman said. “But this document from Interpol shows that the government is always working for the justice, the memory and the truth.”