Death toll in Somalia hotel attack climbs to 21 — health minister

People watch outside the destroyed Hayat Hotel after a deadly 30-hour siege by al-Shabaab jihadists in Mogadishu, Somalia, on August 21, 2022. (Hassan Ali Elmi/AFP)
People watch outside the destroyed Hayat Hotel after a deadly 30-hour siege by al-Shabaab jihadists in Mogadishu, Somalia, on August 21, 2022. (Hassan Ali Elmi/AFP)

MOGADISHU, Somalia — The number of civilians killed in a 30-hour siege by al-Shabaab jihadists at a hotel in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu has climbed to 21, Health Minister Ali Haji Adan says today.

“The ministry of health has so far confirmed the deaths of 21 people and 117 people wounded” in the gun and bomb attack by the Al-Qaeda-linked group that began on Friday evening and lasted over a day, he says.

Most Popular