WASHINGTON — The US insists that talks between Israel and Lebanon are heading in the right direction after officials from both countries recognized setbacks during last week’s talks in Rome.
Those talks ended early on their second day, amid an escalation in southern Lebanon between Israel and Hezbollah. Beirut is also frustrated with the pace of Israeli withdrawals, feeling that Jerusalem is dragging its feet ahead of October elections, while Israel argues that verification of Hezbollah disarmament must be completed first.
Nonetheless, a State Department spokesperson insists that the three days of talks last week were “constructive” and saw the sides reach understandings on the parameters that need to be met for verifying that a particular area has been cleared of Hezbollah infrastructure in order to “unlock future pilot zones.”
Pilot zones are the areas where the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) have deployed in south Lebanon after Israel has withdrawn. So far, two such zones exist, with the ultimate goal being that the pilot zones will be replicated to the point where Israel has completely pulled out of southern Lebanon.
Commenting on last Wednesday’s escalation in southern Lebanon, which saw a Hezbollah explosive lethally detonate on Israeli forces, sparking major IDF retaliatory strikes, the State Department notes that the sides de-escalated within 24 hours thanks to a trilateral military deconfliction cell that the US, Israel and Lebanon set up earlier on in their negotiations.
During last week’s talks, US negotiators pulled Lebanese counterparts aside to discuss “delivering timely support for reconstruction,” the State Department spokesperson says, referring to the several dozen southern Lebanese villages flattened by Israel on the grounds that they were riddled with Hezbollah infrastructure.
“At the next round of technical talks, Lebanon will present detailed roadmaps for securing new areas as implementation proceeds in the current pilot zones,” the State Department spokesperson says.
“We need to work through important details, including who verifies the LAF’s clearance operations. Once those details are clear, the process will move much faster,” the spokesperson continues.
The next round will take place at the beginning of September in Rome, but the sides will continue holding conversations in their respective capitals in the interim.
Israel and Lebanon still need to agree on a list of countries that will serve on a third-party committee tasked with verifying that pilot zones have been fully demilitarized.
An official familiar with the matter told The Times of Israel yesterday that Israel is rejecting the inclusion of countries that have sought to act against it in international forums.
The State Department spokesperson reiterates Washington’s opposition to extending the mandate of the UNIFIL observer force, which it — like Israel — believes has not done a sufficient job in preventing Hezbollah’s rearmament.
“Both sides face political constraints. We are working through them methodically because shortcuts produce the same failed outcomes we have seen for decades. The direction of travel remains positive, and nobody is dragging their feet on implementation,” the State Department spokesperson stresses.
“We are not naive about the difficulties. Hezbollah is trying to sabotage the process, and both Israel and Lebanon are democracies under domestic political stress. But the fact that the teams sat together, communicated directly, and generated options is itself a structural change. The process is designed to absorb those constraints and still move forward, first by making the pilot zones work, then by expanding,” the State Department adds.