The New York Times reveals details of a series of situation room meetings held by US President Donald Trump in the lead up to the start of the war with Iran, including one in which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly pitched a plan that would see the end of the Islamic Republic’s regime, apparently later described by the CIA chief as “farcical” and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio as “bullshit.”
According to the report, Netanyahu gave a presentation to a small meeting including the US president on February 11 that outlined plans for a potential conflict.
The Israeli premier apparently suggested that Iran’s ballistic missile program could be destroyed in a few weeks, and the weakened regime would not only be unable to close the key Strait of Hormuz, but there was only a minimal chance that Tehran would attack neighboring countries.
Additionally, it was apparently said that Mossad had indicated that the protest movement could be reignited, with the spy agency playing a role, allowing the Iranian opposition to take power amid an intensive campaign of airstrikes. The report says the Israeli team also suggested Kurdish fighters could enter Iran from Iraq in a ground operation.
According to the Times, a day later, CIA Director John Ratcliffe told a meeting of top US officials, including Trump, that Netanyahu’s presentation on potential regime change was “farcical.”
The report says that Rubio then said: “In other words, it’s bullshit.”
When Trump asked Gen. Dan Caine, chair of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, for his opinion, the top military official reportedly told the president that the plan from the Israelis appeared overblown.
“Sir, this is, in my experience, standard operating procedure for the Israelis. They oversell, and their plans are not always well-developed. They know they need us, and that’s why they’re hard-selling,” Caine reportedly said.
The report says that, in fact, Trump appeared most interested in killing the then supreme leader Ali Khamenei and delivering a blow to the regime’s military capabilities, with other aspects of the plan less relevant.
“Over the following days, General Caine shared with Mr. Trump and others the alarming military assessment that a major campaign against Iran would drastically deplete stockpiles of American weaponry, including missile interceptors, whose supply had been strained after years of support for Ukraine and Israel. General Caine saw no clear path to quickly replenishing these stockpiles,” the report says.
“He also flagged the enormous difficulty of securing the Strait of Hormuz and the risks of Iran blocking it. Mr. Trump had dismissed that possibility on the assumption that the regime would capitulate before it came to that. The president appeared to think it would be a very quick war — an impression that had been reinforced by the tepid response to the US bombing of Iran’s nuclear facilities in June,” the New York Times says.
The newspaper says that while Caine’s colleagues believed the military official thought war with Iran was a bad idea, he did not tell Trump his opinion on the matter.